Hi All,

I am Testing Chat Application for Mobile Devices. The Chat application should work on iOS, Android, Windows Phone and Blackberry Devices.

Can someone help me in Testing Chat Applications?

Please Give me some corner case Scenarios.

Thanks in Advance

You need to be a member of Mobile QA Zone to add comments!

Join Mobile QA Zone

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Functionality Testing

1) Your chat app installation.
    2) Create Account or Login

3) Test no. of contact that can be saved.

4) Test size of profile photo that can be attached.
    5) Add Friend/s
    6) Check whose are online to chat( Those who are already added in contact list)
    7) Try to Chat
    8) file sending

9) Does it send emoticons?

10) Enter key==send button
    11) R u able to login with 2 id's on the same system.
    12) Does your id appear on the app about screen?
    13) Check for the changing status i.e available,invisible,visible etc.

14) Size of message that can be send in a time.

Performance Testing

15) Test how much time it can work continuously.
    16) Test ratio of fails in sending message.
    17) Test for response time after a message is send
    18) Test response time by sending continuously to a contact.
    19) How long chat can it save

How soon/ late do you receive the messages?
    If you are reading an old message, does the focus comeback to the message that has just arrived?

Load Testing

20) Sending a lot of messages back to back.

1. Here are few more test cases...
      2.  Is it real-time synchronous chat or more like a forum, where people can leave a message for the future.
      3. How messages should be delivered to peers that have temporary network connectivity problems? Different applications have different politics about buffering messages when a recipient is not online. Some of them buffer them on sender side, other cache them on server.
      4. Should messages be delivered over secured channel? Combination of SSL an Flash can be tricky to implement correctly
      5. Should the same user be able to log in from two different machines at the same time?
      6. What media peers can exchange on chat? Text, formatted text, images?
      7. How many people can participate in a chat? Two? Three? Four? Are there any limitations? Should "real-timeness" of message delivery scale well for large number of peers?
      8. Are there any special commands on chat? For instance IRC provided a number of commands for setting up a topic on a channel, moderating the channel, etc.
      9. How large messages can be? Can I sent encoded MP3 through it without problem?
      10.  Can special characters be sent by client? How are characters encoded? UTF-8, ASCII or other standard? Is encoding fixed on client side (as was in IRC) or it is negotiated between client and a server automatically?
      11. How are messages ordered in a chat? Based on posting time or delivery time? This particularly relates to messages sent when peer(s) are not online
      12. How output should be formatted? Compare for instance Skype with chat room here.
      13. Can you edit/remove messages you've already sent?
      14. Should time of message sending be shown? How does this should work for clients from different time-zones or with some inter-clock skew?
      15. What about DoS attack? Is there a risk of such?
      16. Are chat entries persisted in DB? If so, then what about SQL injection?
      • Hi Sanjay,

thank you so much... really those scenarios are worthful..  these scenarios are very important and advanced also.. 

Thanks lot..

• Thank you Kumaran.

Its really useful testing scenarios.

• Thanks Vijay!

This reply was deleted.
    results->result as $result) { ?>
  1. jobtitle;?>
    company;?>(formattedRelativeTime;?>)city;?>, state;?>
    Welcome to Mobile QA Zone, a Next Generation Software Testing Community.Invite your friends to join this community.Write to us to become a featured member.