Replies

• hey thank u all of you as now i m clear to some extent

• i agree with what Ninad said. Its not feasible to have all the handsets to develop or test your mobile apps or mobile web.

More to that, in current sceanrio no app is specifically developed for any hardware its being developed for Mobile platform per say iOS or Android OS. If i develop a app for iOS then it should work on any hardware with iOS installed on it.

Lets take a example-

Currently I am testing a iPhone application but i dont have iPhone 3GS. I have iPod touch with same iOS so the responses are same for iPhone 3GS and iPod touch. I agree that you wont be able to test all features i.e. phone features, interuption testing etc. But majority of testing can be done.

Hope this helps to understand how applications are tested and selection of tools/devices for testing.  If not please let me know.

• Here, in simple words i would like to add some points to Ravindran's reply.

1. Android is open source means SDK is freely available for everyone. But, if some developer wants to develop some application which should support all devices? he cannot go and buy all mobile handsets. cos now its a costly. also its not feasible solution. Emulator helps in creating emulated version of  the same device on computer. so that developer can develop the application as well as test the same simultaneously.  Android emulator have so many features, as mentioned by Ravi. it is as good as the device.

i hope most of your doubts are clear. if not feel free to raise question.

• Hay Friend...

Before starting any Work, I suggest you to read the basics of the work. you are trying to ride a car without knowing what is a break.  :))

Mobile Software is being developed in Software development kits. (SDK). These SDK's build such a way that a developer can test the application without a hardware also. That why they have the Emulator Concept. The Output be viewed / debugged in emulators.

you can well deploy the (.apk) file, (same as your windows exe) into the device. also, you can test your app in the emulator. you can also mock the storage media such as SD Card in Android Emulator, by setting some memory for it. but you can not be able to test wireless lan, GPS, bluetooth, as these features need special hardware.

please read about emulator basics in android developer website. (http://developer.android.com)

• hey!

as i mentioned in the second ans.. the android application u r making might need some of the pre installed applications like the dialler which is present in the emulator. 

Moreover the android device have different configurations starting from the screen size to different processors so for that purpose also there was a need of emulator instead of simulator which only could run the code irrespective of the expected hardware configuration of the device. 

Abhi

• hey abhi sorry but didnt get u

i know we can do on device i.e. is real machine(phone)

bt my ques is y emulator only apart from real device?

• Hey!

1> The android app can be tested on device as well, you can ask the concerned developer to provide you with the build on device, or you can do the same yourself using eclipse.

2> Yes, Emulator is needed for some preinstalled application that can be accesses from your application as it runs a full Android system stack, down to the kernel level.

Hope this helps!

Abhi

This reply was deleted.
Welcome to Mobile QA Zone, a Next Generation Software Testing Community.Invite your friends to join this community.Write to us to become a featured member.